The small town of Duncannon, PA has been chosen to become an official Appalachian Trail Community by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy which is the national not-for-profit corporation in charge of managing, protecting and maintaining the Appalachian Trail. This official designation is mutually beneficial to Duncannon and the A.T. Conservancy. Duncannon gets promoted on a national level as a scenic nature-oriented town while the AT Conservancy gains a community of people willing to help promote and preserve the A.T. and surrounding local natural resources.
Duncannon will be having a festival on June 2nd, 2012 to celebrate its new status as an official Trail Community. In the morning there will be river trips, hikes and nature walks and in the afternoon there will be educational presentations, children’s events, live musical entertainment, information vendors, retail vendors and the official A.T. Community proclamation ceremony.
Here are a few links to learn more about this historic event for Duncannon, PA:
- Duncannon A.T. Community Advisory Committee
- June 2nd, 2012 Activity List
- Duncannon Appalachian Trail Community Website
- The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC)
- Duncannon, Pennsylvania Designated as Appalachian Trail Community
- What is an Appalachian Trail Community?
- Appalachian Trail Community: Duncannon, Pennsylvania
- ATC Selects Community Ambassadors For Pennsylvania
- Video Announcing Duncannon PA Appalachian Trail Festival June 2, 2012
I helped make the video so be sure to check it out.